NOTE: Ironforge production chumbys already have Perl installed
Setting up ssh for cross compiling
- Copy arm-linux scp and ssh binaries to the root of a usb drive and mount it on chumby.
- If one doesn't already exist, create a symbolic link to scp on chumby
# ln -s /mnt/usb/scp /usr/bin/scp
- Grab the latest stable Perl source
# wget http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/stable.tar.gz
- Run Configure with the following paramters (replace targethost with the IP address of your chumby):
sh ./Configure -des -Dusecrosscompile \ -Dtargethost=192.168.1.102 \ -Dtargetdir=/mnt/usb \ -Dtargetuser=root \ -Dtargetarch=arm-linux \ -Dcc=arm-linux-gcc \ -Dusrinc=/usr/arm-linux/include \ -Dincpth=/usr/arm-linux/include \ -Dlibpth=/usr/arm-linux/lib
- run make
- an arm-elf miniperl binary should be created
- if you strip the binary, miniperl should be around 830K in size
# arm-linux-strip miniperl
The instructions for building Perl to work on the Chumby are found Here.
You will learn there how to set up a development environment using Scratchbox, and compile your own Perl and applications.
Pre-compiled, ready-to-run Perl
Download here Perl, the include libraries, and applications that can be installed on a Chumby USB key or in the Chumby ONE internal storage